Your new denture can last for several years. The key is to care for it properly on a daily basis. But dentures aren’t invincible. They need to be handled carefully and cleaned in a certain manner to ensure they hold up to everything life has to throw your way.
Here are three big denture mistakes you want to be sure to avoid.
- 1. Sleeping in Your Denture
- Never sleep in your denture overnight. The extended wear time while you’re asleep can change the shape of the bone in your mouth. In turn, your denture won’t fit snuggly like it’s supposed to. Plus, it puts you at a risk of developing infection.
- Side note: Be sure to store your denture out of reach any pets. Dogs in particular are known to love chewing on removable dental appliances!
- 2.Using Hot Water or Abrasives to Clean It
- Hot water can permanently warp and change the shape of your denture or partial. Always use cool or lukewarm water. Similarly, don’t use abrasives such as baking soda, which can scratch the acrylic.
- 3. Allowing it to Dry Out
- When your denture isn’t in your mouth, it needs to be stored in a cleansing solution and then gently air dried. Leaving your plate in a dry container overnight could damage the acrylic. It needs to stay moist for the majority of time.
- 4. Dropping It
- Whether it’s in the sink or on the bathroom floor, dropping your denture could cause serious cracks or fractures. To prevent an accidental break, always place a hand towel on the counter or a washcloth in the bottom of your sink.
Need a Denture Checkup?
Call Georgia Denture & Implant Specialists today to reserve an appointment with our denture experts!
Posted on behalf of